JOFA Helmets | Halos of Hockey

Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Selanne, Savard, Sundin, Forsberg, Fleury, Kurri, Housley, Palffy, Salming and Stastny are some of the NHL greats who have worn the JOFA emblem proudly upon their foreheads during some of the highest scoring and most important seasons and careers in NHL history. This blog discusses the JOFA helmet, the different models, who men who wore them, their significance, where to buy and sell them, how to fix and modify them, and why they are icons of hockey excellence.

May 25, 2012

Teemu Selanne JOFA 390/366 Modification


Using the same techniques as I outlined in my article, "Modifying the Reebok 3K L", I created this Teemu Selanne replica helmet.  Since I have not featured one of my refined Selanne mods, I thought I would share this with you.


This helmet is built as accurately as I could make it; without tearing one of my 366's apart (which is awfully tempting). I think this is sixth modification I ever did, and is shows if compared to my early work.


For parts, I swapped out the Oakley half shield spacers for Bauer spacers, still using Oakley hardware, used Bauer ear loops, and a hybrid of Bauer and CCM hardware to hold the padding in place.  One neat feature I like to add, in order to keep the helmet as JOFA as I can; I took the chinstrap off of the original helmet, and sewed it to create a handmade JOFA strap!



7 comments:

  1. when my google reader delivers a new post it is better then a christmas gift -- please continue to share your awesome helmet mods and teemu tributes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you mount/attach the earloops to the inner rivet? did you use special ear loops? im dieing to know as I would love to modify my 366 to look like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, your ear loops need to look like this, as shown in my "Modifying The Reebok 3K L":

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uiXvASckfHk/TeqAUmQbRtI/AAAAAAAAACI/2aP7iz813qY/s640/Reebok+3K+Mod+Step+05.jpg

    >>Read though that section, and the section "Modifying The JOFA 390".<<

    You need to remove the rivets completely to install soft ear loops. Be very careful not to damage your helmet. I own 3 366's and have not modified any of them; I suggest just modifying your own 390. If you mess up, it doesn't really matter so much, and if you scratch it up using it, who cares. Your 366 is much more difficult to replace.

    But if you insist, be careful, read my blogs, and do it right! I'd really like to see the result! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where do you find earloops like that?

      Delete
    2. These are just regular Bauer ear loops. You can find them online or at a local hockey shop.

      Delete
  4. OH, THERE IS ALSO A BRAND NEW 390 LISTED ON EBAY. SORRY, JUST SAW IT. SO, THERE ARE TWO RARE FINDS RIGHT NOW! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any tips on attaching the visor like in the last few pics? Using the rivet hole and drilling a new one just above it?

    ReplyDelete